Elizabeth II exhausted after the covid, China responds to the United States… the point on the coronavirus

Update on the latest developments in the Covid-19 pandemic in France and around the world.

Queen Elizabeth II felt exhausted after catching covid

Queen Elizabeth II felt “exhausted” after she caught Covid in February, the soon-to-be 96-year-old monarch revealed during a videoconference where she spoke to British caregivers mobilized during the pandemic. Elizabeth II had tested positive for Covid in February and presented according to Buckingham Palace “mild symptoms”.

The virus makes “very tired and exhausted, doesn’t it?”, she said Wednesday, speaking to Asef Hussain, a former Covid patient, at the virtual inauguration of a care unit in her name at the Royal London Hospital in the British capital. Already before catching the Covid, the sovereign had considerably lightened her agenda since a night of hospitalization in October, the nature of which has never been revealed. She has retreated since the start of the pandemic to Windsor Castle, about forty kilometers from London, and is now struggling to move. Last week, she participated in a religious ceremony in tribute to her husband Prince Philip, who died a year ago, marking his great return to his subjects after months of absence. At the end of the meeting with the caregivers, Elizabeth II discussed with the construction team who set up the care unit in a few weeks to cope with the increase in the number of patients. “It’s interesting, when there’s something vital, everyone works together. It’s wonderful, isn’t it?” she said.

What’s next after this ad

Staff in Britain’s public health system, the NHS, have been under pressure during the pandemic, with long shifts, stuffy equipment and the risk of catching the virus and infecting their families. Some 33,000 NHS medical staff resigned between July and September 2021, including almost 7,000 in search of a better life balance, according to official statistics. That’s nearly double the last quarter of 2019, just before the pandemic.

What’s next after this ad

Beijing denounces the “accusations” of the United States concerning the Covid-19 in Shanghai

China has accused the United States of making “baseless accusations” over its policy to fight the Covid-19 pandemic, after rising cases in Shanghai led the US consulate in that city to allow the “voluntary departure” of non-essential diplomats. Faced with the worst wave of the virus in China since the start of the epidemic, Shanghai, the economic capital of the country, has been in total or partial confinement for two weeks. Under very strict health measures, the 25 million Shanghainese are forced to stay at home.

The Chinese authorities continue to defend their “zero Covid” strategy, with confinements as soon as a few cases appear. In Shanghai, they once implemented a highly controversial policy of separating coronavirus-positive children from their parents who tested negative, which they relaxed in the face of criticism. In a new warning to American travelers, the State Department also recommended Friday “not to travel” to Shanghai, “due to restrictions related to Covid-19, including the risk of separation between parents and their children” . In response, Beijing expressed “strong dissatisfaction with and firm opposition to the baseless accusations by the US side regarding China’s epidemic control policy,” according to a statement posted on the Foreign Ministry’s website on Saturday.

What’s next after this ad

What’s next after this ad

“This is the decision of the United States. However, it should be emphasized that China’s epidemic control policy is scientific and effective,” ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian said, adding that Beijing had filed “solemn protests” to his American counterparts. “We have every confidence that Shanghai and other places will overcome this cycle of the epidemic,” he added. China is pursuing a policy of rapid containment, mass testing and travel restrictions to stem the spread of the virus. Shanghai, hit by a surge fueled by the Omicron variant, reported a record 24,943 new, mostly asymptomatic infections on Sunday, accounting for more than 90 percent of the national total. Authorities have prepared tens of thousands of new beds in more than 100 makeshift hospitals under a policy of isolating anyone who tests positive for the virus, whether or not they show symptoms. Many locals have begun to chafe at the restrictions and expressed their anger via social media over food shortages and drastic measures taken to stem the outbreak, such as a health worker bludgeoning a corgi to death, a small dog.

Leave a Comment